Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ikea Restaurant and its famous meatballs

I was on leave today and decided to go to Ikea after sending my car for some minor repair and a polish-and-wax for the new year. I went to the Tampines outlet as parking is free the entire day and there is a giant Courts store next to Ikea and a giant Giant (pardon the pun) just opposite.

After wandering around the very decently priced home furnishing items (they sell potted plants, candle light holders, photo-frames, assorted lamps, posters, cushions, beds, tables, mirrors - truely worth a visit), I ended up at the Ikea Restaurant. I have the OCBC-Ikea credit card so I used the card at the yellow machine on the third floor to redeem a discounted meal and free drink coupon for 2 pax. They really should put the machine nearer the restaurant though.

No one goes to Ikea and not eat their famous swedish meatballs at least once. I ordered a plate of 15 meatballs for SGD8. It came with potatoes, gravy (I asked for an extra helping FOC) and jam at the side.


The Slog Reviews: 8/10. Worth a try at least once. However, do not that at the shop outside the checkout counters in Ikea, the same meatballs are sold in a frozen packet for less than SGD20 at 1kg.

I also had their fresh water prawns at SGD4.20. I had to ask the staff to prepare the dish as there were none left from the self-help refrigerator. I'm glad I did because it tasted so incredibly sweet. If you love eggs, prawn eggs. you will find that these shrimps are choked full of orange-colored eyes between their many legs. U can suck on these as well as the shrimp's head (after plucking the head off and sucking at the end opposite the eyes ie the opening).


The Slog Reviews: 9/10. This sweet and light-tasting seafood can only be found at Ikea restaurant and nowhere else in Singapore to the best of my knowledge so seafood lovers, do give this a go! If you like it, you can go to the shop which sells the frozen meatballs and buy 1 kg of the fresh water prawns at SGD 12.90 only.

No comments: