Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Prawn Fishing at Pasir Ris Park

The first few times I tried out prawn fishing was with my sister after work when she was bumming a ride back from me. Being familiar with Pasir Ris Park where I used to fish with 1 of my ex-boyfriend many years ago (to the extent that he had a single digit amt left in his bank account because each hr cost S$20 and we were but poor students), we decided on a pure whim to check out the fishing ponds. However, while walking around the fishing pond, we stumbled across the prawn fishing ponds located at the side of the large fishing pond. It was relatively deserted on a weekday night.

The first few times we went there (before I got to know of Ebi Culture), our catch-rate was extremely poor - like just 1 or 2 prawns after one whole hour. Other people there were fishing prawns up like pros and there we were standing and waiting. That's the thing about prawning and fishing - the utter sense of helplessness one gets although one is doing everything similar to the person next to you and yet catching squat. However, I find it a useful reminder that we cannot control everything in life. As a line in 1 of my favourite movies (a Korean movie I caught on a flight to Manila for work) goes "We do what we can and leave it to God to do the rest".

Anyhow, this is the very first prawn which I caught prawning. My sister had almost given up after 45mins of not catching any prawns at all and passed the rod to me to hold for the last 15mins of the hour. I saw the float go down, held my breath, struck, and pulled this fella out.

The picture below is the result of our catch in one hour at the prawn fishing farm at Pasir Ris Park. I'll be honest and 'fess up that only 2 of the prawns in the bucket were caught by us. The others were given to us by the operators of the prawning place there. The Slog Reviews: 8/10, using Ebi Culture as a yardstick again, the bite-rates, catch-rates and services provided at this prawning place far exceed those provided at Punggol prawning. 1 old man had almost half a net full of prawns after 3 hours and the crowd there is pretty friendly and sparse (which I like). The operators are also helpful and friendly. They helped us with the baits when at that stage, I was afraid of sawing or tearing up earth worms (my sis still refuses to touch them) and also with unhooking the prawns. And yes, as I had mentioned, they gave us some prawns to take back after seeing our dismal catches. The rods there too, unlike those for rent at Punggol Prawning, are of better quality. If you are new to prawn fishing, this is a good place to spend your S$30. :)

No comments: