Monday, March 01, 2010

Su Korean Cuisine

Because of a meeting I had at the end of the west of our island (I'd never been to this part of Singapore before and was amazed at the flat lands and massive factories), I ended up having lunch at The Village. Parking was free (although the sign at the entrance of the carpark said it was S$2/entry during work hours) and despite the rather deserted appearance of the place (there were about 20-30 cars max parked near the eateries), I decided to check out the restaurants there. I would have gone for Ah Yat but being just one person, I opted for the daily set lunch at Su Korean Cuisine Restaurant instead.

As is typical of the better Korean restaurants, appetisers were served. I don't eat Kimchi so I can't comment on the dish at the bottom right but the potato (top right), beancurd (top left) and veg (bottom left) weren't anything exceptional - the potato was in fact quite tasteless but the veg and salted fish with it was pretty tasty. The server removed the Kimchi which I hadn't touched and voluntarily returned to her, but didn't give me another appetiser to replace it. Bah.

There are 8 options for the daily set lunch priced at SGD 11.90 and I opted for the beef short ribs. The Slog Reviews: 7.5/10. Total cost of the set lunch and korean tea (SGD 1) with taxes amounted to SGD 15+ . A very healthy meal with lots of greens. Each slice of the beef short rib was thick but just a tad too chewy so that it didn't melt-in-the-mouth. The sauce for the beef had mostly dried up/stuck to the pan but whatever was left of it tasted fine, nothing special but nothing to complain about.

The restaurant was empty when I walked in although it was lunch hour. A couple came in about half an hour later but that was it. The friendly server informed me that in the evenings and on weekends, the place is far more crowded. The menu is pretty comprehensive so if I'm ever around the area again, I'll probably try something diff like the Korean Ginseng Soup which is just SGD 16 on Mondays (as opposed to other days).

No comments: