Sunday, May 09, 2010

Pontian Wanton Mee at JB

The first time I had Pontian Wanton Mee was with my mum a couple of years ago. She wanted to share her great find - a place at Orchard Rd selling really cheap and good food - and I remember being really surprised at the cost of the food at the outlet of Pontian Wanton Mee in Orchard. However, the food never really grew on me and it was only recently that I developed an inexplicable urge to wolf down springy but soft noodles and slurp slightly salty soup with pcs of tender minced pork wrapped in a kind of flour skin that slides away from the pork when put in one's mouth - ie wanton mee.

So, when my companion told me that he had found a wanton mee store in JB which would satisfy this urge, I was most surprised when he brought me to the Pontian Wanton Mee outlet located at Taman Sutera (the shophouses near Taman Sutera).

At about 8pm, the shop wasn't too crowded and we were attended to almost immediately. This is how the first page of the menu looks like - apparently there is a difference between wanton noodles and pontian wanton noodles when all along I've thought they were the same thing. When I said I found the price in SG cheap, the price of Pontian Wanton Mee in JB blew me away - the food is ridiculously cheap - get this - RM6 for a large bowl of noodles which works out to SGD 2.50 only and the small bowl is RM4 which is SGD 1.70 (below SGD 2!) .

Below is a pic of the food we ordered - I had the a medium sized Dumpling Noodle (bowl on the left - the dumplings came in a soup) while my companion had a large sized Pontian Wanton Mee. For both bowls of noodles, we chose the chilli plus black sauce combination for the sauce which, as you will see from the menu above, is the recommended option.

The Slog Reviews: 7.5/10. Very decent grub for a ridiculously low price. The noodles were springy and chewy but I felt the meat in the dumplings were too hard - probably the dumplings hadn't been defrosted properly (I don't expect freshly made dumplings for that price!). Still, if one is on a budget and has to fill one's stomach with reasonably satisfying grub or if one shares a similar urge to partake of a non-conservative local asian delight (wanton - get it?), one may visit the following Pontian Wanton Mee outlets in Malaysia per the pic of the addresses of the Malaysian outlets I took below.

No comments: