Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Shop just next to Geylang Prawn Mee at Upper Serangoon Rd

We had decided to have the yummilicious Geylang Prawn Mee at Upper Serangoon Road but if you have been there, you will know that parking there isn't easy (Beach Road is still more challenging though) given the limited no of parking lots outside the row of shops.

I was delighted to see a car pulling out of a lot slightly in front of the prawn mee store and sped up to get to the lot...only to find 2 PRCs dragging those large green rubbish bins to block cars from parking in the lot. My companion got out and asked them to remove the bins but they insisted that we had to eat at their shop if we wanted to park there. Given that my companion had grown tired of the prawn noodles (??!?!) , she agreed without a second thought (or without asking me!) and so I parked my car there.

I'm sorry I don't have the name of the restaurant - all I can tell you is that it is just next to the famous prawn mee stall which was packed to the brim by the way. I am not sure if it is operated by PRCs but all the servers in the restaurants are PRCs. The restaurant's menu is rather limited if one does not favour their set meals which range from SGD 25 onwards for 2 and consist of curry/assam fish head and veg. And from the limited menu (6 items), we shared this nonya hotpot per the pic below.

The Slog Reviews: 8.5/10. For SGD 5, the dish above despite its rather simple ingredients was exceedingly tasty (I think it was the soup!) and the prawns were firm and fresh. I would without a doubt recommend this dish.


We also shared a bowl of curry chicken - the curry comes with rice and is priced at SGD5. The Slog Reviews: 8/10. I would give it a higher score if the dish came with more of the delicious curry which was not too oily and just the right consistency/thickness. The curry was spicy enough to give a warm fiery feeling but not too spicy so as to make one reach for water.

This restaurant is worth a visit for cheap and good dishes. It helps too that it is air-conditioned unlike the prawn mee store and that the servers are extremely polite, friendly and helpful. Very good service - I think I'll get the name of this restaurant and update this post later. The only drawback is that one has to pay in cash.

No comments: