Friday, December 10, 2010

Kedai Kopi Chung Wah

Hoe Kee or Chung Wah for chicken rice in Melaka?

Having had Hoe Kee the last trip because the queue at Chung Wah was too long, I was delighted to find that the queue at Chung Wah at 11am in the morning was not too long on a Sunday morning in September - it isn't the standing that is the killer, it is the standing in the merciless sun. So if one decides to brave the queue, do remember to bring a brolly for shade!

Because of the relatively short queue (See pic above), we managed to get a place at the back of the crowded restaurant, from which angle I could take a picture of the "hallowed" interior of this famed chicken rice stall. It is also clear form the pic below that the sun is so bright that in the background one can barely make out the queue behind the old-fashioned gates waiting to get in.

We ordered 5 chicken rice balls and half a chicken. The Slog Reviews: 9/10 for the chicken rice balls which were soft and fragrant. Because of the oil and fat used to cook the chicken rice, the chicken rice ball kinda melted in my mouth without the least bit of grainy feeling. Definitely much better than Hoe Kee's chicken rice balls.

I am sure we ordered half a chicken but they must have gotten the order wrong because the 2 of us were served THIS amount of chicken and my CEB counted 2 small chicken thighs.
My CEB "This chicken is very special"
Me "Yeah I already know that given the queue to get in just to eat this"
My CEB "No, I mean this chicken we are eating. It is a four legged chicken since we ordered 1/2 a chicken only"
Me "?!%#$@".

Ok, joke aside, the Slog Reviews: 9/10. If one wants to have really tender and fresh chicken (and yes, it was so good that I forgot about my allergy to eating chicken), one should make a beeline for No 18 Jalan Hang Jebat which is right at the start of Jonker Street.

No comments: