Sunday, April 04, 2010

Eging / Squid Fishing - my squid jig is ruined!

I have come to the realisation that squid fishing / egining ranks way below fish fishing and prawn fishing. Like the previous experience that I had, it was difficult to find any takers for the squids and my haul back home was met with even more resistance by my mum than if I had brought back fish (the scaling!) and prawns (the snipping of the feelers). Remembering the nasty experience I had the first time washing the squids in the kitchen bathroom, I decided to wash the squids at my pool area instead. Here is a pic of the 5 squids that we caught with most of the squid ink washed away.

The one on the extreme right of the pic above looks to be the one which destroyed my favourite/lucky squid jig! It was a nightmare getting the jig out (I had to use pliers) and I think one of the eyes got twisted around. Ugh! When I got the squid (after 1 hour of casting and retrieving), I was over the moon with delight. I thought the squid had squirted out most of its ink when I brought it close to shore as it was squirting ink in the water, but when I landed it, it squirted out even more ink and stained my squid jig!

The jig was supposed to be luminous, with a blue back and pink sides (see a close up of it by clicking here)! But look at how it has been stained irreparably in the pic above! Argh! My shifu said that the jig could still be used but given how hard it is to land a squid (after 1 hour, 1 squid but maybe that's because my shifu wiped most of them out over the past week) I think I have got to go out and buy more of these jigs! Argh!

No comments: