Wednesday, April 07, 2010

New York I Love You (2009) Movie

After watching The Men Who Stare At Sheep, I thought I was only missing the funny bone. However, the next movie I watched, New York I Love You ("NYILY") confirmed what I secretly feared - that I was born without another bone - the artistic bone. Other than the knowledge that I miss these two key bones which may have made a difference in my perception of life, I plod along well enough :D

Anyway, from those friends gifted with a sense of creativity and an appreciation for art and the finer nuances of life depicted in "arty-farty" films, I was inspired to buy the DVD NYILY and pop it in my DVD player as soon as I got home. Tragically, I fell asleep barely one third into the movie. Disbelieving that I could be so far from the lofty flightly artistic inner-crowd, I was most determined to finish the rest of the movie last night and I did it. However, it was a cruel unpleasant experience for someone without the artistic bone because I found myself alternating between wishing the movie would just end already, to resenting and cursing each artistic drawn out shot ( a building in shadows, billowing curtains) that I was made to suffer through. If I was ever teetering on the border of sanity and madness, NYILY is guaranteed to send me right over to insanity's all-embracing arms. The Slog Reviews: 3/10. It was that bad. Apologies to those who have raved over this cross-stitch of 11 short films put together (the only thing in common is that all were shot in New York City). I liked the old couple film, the prom-going couple film and the film with Shu Qi and the painter who died but this concept of watching 11 short snippets which aren't connected together (contra, the award winning movie Crash) isn't for those without the artistic bone.

No comments: