Saturday, April 10, 2010

Shee Yaan Restaurant in Muar - the best Assam Fish Head and Muar Otah!

I'm crossing my fingers that I will have a chance tomorrow to eat something that I've been craving for for quite some time (almost a month!). Nope, it isn't the assam fish head below (although this dish will most certainly be ordered too)...

Rather, it's this dish below - Muah Otah! As per my earlier post, I'm absolutely dying to eat this right now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will be going to Muar tomorrow! And now that I know I can actually dream and drool over a dish, I probably will buy a lot of this back home to keep in the fridge for a couple of months and for the folks that matter! How can any dish be so simple yet so "orgasmically" delicious? The Slog Reviews: 10/10. The taste, how do I even begin describing that! The blend of fish meat, the right amount of paste and spice - savory, yes, the word is savory. Muah is famous for its otahs but there is no place that serves better otah IMHO.

Here is a pic of the dishes that we always order when we go to this restaurant for lunch/dinner - the assam fishhead, sambal kangkong, fried fish eggs and the muah otah. It is a good thing that we do not reside in Muar or in JB...or maybe it is a bad thing, because I probably would spend most of my free time eating there. The restaurant's setting is simple but it is air-conditioned and clean. There are more dishes of course, other than the ones we always order but because these are so good and Muar is a few hours drive from JB, we always order the same items and never once has the standard fallen. The Slog Reviews for them is of course 10/10. Do drop by this restaurant if you are at Muar but be warned though that the place can get very crowded with huge groups waiting for tables. It is extremely popular, esp among locals. One has to pick some of the food items (the fish head, fish meat, otah and fish eggs) from the fridge next to the cashier. The restaurant's staff are helpful (a mix of local chinese and malay employees) and the waiting time is reasonable - 15mins if the restaurant isn't crowded.


The Address:
30&31 Jln Pesta Baru 1
Pusat Perniagaan Pesta Baru
Jln Bakri, 84000 Muar Johor

Tel No: 06-9539014

Opening Hrs: 10am - 9.30pm

No comments: