Sunday, May 09, 2010

Astons Specialties at Sembawang

The problem with once having had the chance to experience something really good, one finds it rather difficult to accept something that isn't on par, even though it is doubtless that that has its own merits too.

In a vain attempt to relieve the glorious memory of Astons Prime, we went out for dinner at Astons Specialties at Sembawang at my suggestion one Saturday evening. And, the queue, there was not one moment from 6.20 to 8pm when there wasn't a queue at all. However, the queue moved along pretty quickly, largely due to the management of the tall big-built manager at the doorway and rather ample no. of seats in the indoor and outdoor portion of the restaurant. The restaurant seems very popular with large families and larger groups of friends on weekends. The queue for dinner on weekdays is far shorter based on my previous experiences

So anyway, it was my treat because of the good news I'd received in the week, and I ordered the Ribeye Xtra Cut for both of us. Priced at albout SGD 17, the steak comes with two sides which can be chosen from the variety of hot sides and cold sides on the menu. My health conscious companion had the house salad and fries for his sides and his steak, medium to well done.

As for me, I had the mashed potatos and pasta salad. The Slog Reviews: The waiting time was about half an hour for the food but that wasn't a surprise given how crowded the place was. I would suggest having a light bite before going to astons for dinner or one might get really irritated with the wait time. I would give the ribeye 8/10 which was cooked the way I liked it (medium-rare) and came with just the right balance of fats and meat. Unlike the lousy Ministry of Steak, Astons Specialiaties at Sembawang gives real value for money steaks.

604 Sembawang Road #03-14
Sembawang Shopping Centre
Tel : 6753 6302
1130-2200hrs (Opens Daily)

No comments: