Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Majestic Hotel in Melaka

When we were deciding on the accomodation for the trip, I half-jokingly suggested Fenix Inn which was a budget inn that had received decent reviews. Well, from the title and pic below, it would be easy to guess that I have risen from Fenix/Phoenix to something quite Majestic. Jokes aside, we were intending to get rooms at Hotel Equatorial but the hotel was fully booked. And since it was our first department trip together out of the country, we decided to treat ourselves a little better and get rooms at the Majestic Hotel. My GPS had a Majestic Hotel but it turned out to be the wrong address and we only found the carpark of the hotel (located at the back of the hotel and without any shade at all!) by keying in the address on the Agoda Voucher. The pic below shows the lobby of the hotel with the little library green area on the left side. There is also a mini bar area at the lobby of the hotel which is open till midnight daily. The only thing about the hotel that wasn't impressive was the swimming pool - this is the only other pool I've seen that is as small as my place's pool. If one has kids who like swimming, The Equatorial Hotel's swimming pool is by far much much larger. On the Majestic's swimming pool's right is the gym. On the other hand, the spa at the hotel is, according to the magazines left in the hotel room at least, a world-renowned spa. An hour's massage cost about RM200 and after a long drive up, feels very good...(according to my boss at least). I've never liked massages (paying for pain) so I gave the spa a miss. The pic below is of the room's toilet which was the first thing I saw when I opened the door to my hotel room - the bathtub is rather sturdy I must say and there is a rain shower at the shower area. Basic toiletries were provided (and even bath salts) but strangely not toothbrushes. The pic below shows the room which I had all to myself at The Majestic. As I said, 2 of my colleagues changed their minds about going at the last min and therefore, I ended up with a room with twin beds. I asked the hotel if I could have a room with a double bed like my other 3 colleagues but the hotel was fully booked for the weekend. In any case, I thought that the room was pretty impressive and comparable to the ones I'd stayed at in Shangrila, Hyatt, The Peninsular etc and even my boss who has stayed at finer places considered this hotel a truely five star hotel. The hotel promised that all the rooms had a river view and indeed, although mine was a corner room, I had a clear view of the Melaka River where the Melaka River cruises are. Each room also comes with free internet connection (but not WIFI) and a writing desk with a letter addressed to the occupant of the room. The pic below shows the room from another angle - I love the open concept toilet and am inspired to design my own house this way...except that I don't think wood and water agree much. Still, the room is impressive and comfortable in its own right - well worth the SGD 240 When we got back to the hotel room after dinner and shopping, I was pleasantly surprised to find a plate of complimentary kueh on the table :) There was also a bottle of complimentary mineral water (taken out from the minibar) and placed on the bedside table. The Slog Reviews: 9.5/10. Except for the size of the swimming pool, I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Melaka. The service by the staff is beyond outstanding and the rooms are luxurious and beautiful. The cost of a taxi ride to Jonker St is RM15 so one is better off driving there onself but the hotel can call for a taxi if you request. I think my boss is right - it will be most difficult to stay in any other hotel but this hotel if we ever go to Melaka again. :)

No comments: