Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Restoran / restaurant Pekin at Sutera Mall

My sis and I once had a discussion whether it was right to critique a restaurant based on just one dining experience and whether a review of the place based on certain items from the menu was equitable. We had to agree to disagree in the end as the arguments/reasons for both sides were equally compelling (I took the view that it was equitable, if you must know.)

My third visit to Restoran Pekin at Sutera Mall (the last being Mothers' Day) impressed me enough to conclude that the standard of food and service at this place is consistently good. This time, we went there for dinner because I wanted to introduce my herbal-prawns-loving companion to the fabulous dish there. Quick, attentive and polite service by the servers upon entry into the restaurant and unlike previous occasions, a complimentary plate of guava was served as an appetiser.


I was rather in the mood for something "porky" and ordered a most sinfully fattening dish - a medium-sized plate of roast pork. The Slog Reviews: 8/10. Tough and crisp fried skin atop soft squishy fat combined with soft tender meat makes a most delicious morsel in one's mouth. However, too much of this dish can get a little overwhelming because of the sheer amt of oil that oozes out from the fatty portions.

And of course, we had the herbal prawns (which was the purpose of our going there). Now, if you are wondering why there is more soup than the previous time (the soup came up to half the height of the bowl the last time), it is because I requested for more soup when placing the order. And that's what I mean by excellent service by this restaurant - I've been to horrendously more expensive restaurants, made special requests when placing an order and had to send back the dish to the kitchen because these requests were not communicated to the kitchen. The Slog Reviews: 9/10. My companion agreed heartily with words and action that these were the best herbal prawns he'd ever had. I think that we should order a medium/large portion next time!

Picture below shows the 3 dishes we had. The last dish was the 3 eggs dish which was as good as ever. Cost was about RM 80 in all which translates to SGD 32 only. Not a bad deal really given the ambiance, service and quality of food. To prevent the law of diminishing returns from setting in, I have resolved not to go to this restaurant for the next 2 months at least! :D

Oh, and I forgot to mention, we were given a bowl of complimentary dessert each. I'm not sure what it was because I didn't dare to try it - it looked and smelled "Chinese-herbal" so my companion wolfed it down along with his own bowl in a jiffy. I don't suppose I'm going to lose much weight given the way we both enjoy food so much unless I up the number of gym sessions a week or continue with this rather nasty cold.

No comments: