Thursday, December 24, 2009

Fried Wanton at Parklane Mall

My friend and I had about 3 hours to kill before watching Avatar and I was itching to improve my pool skills so we went to Parklane Mall to have dinner and play a couple of games.

I haven't been to the video games arcade at the basement level for almost 3 years but the uncle behind the counter then was there yesterday. Instead of changing the usual S$2 for 50 cent coins to play my usual arcade game, this time I paid S$8.40 for an hour of pool. I used to play the game Zombie Revenge on the arcade machine obsessively then with my ex-boyfriend. That was how we spent 3-4 hours almost every Saturday afternoon - playing that game at Parklane Mall or at Marina Square. We got so good that we almost always got to the end of the game on just one credit each - I would choose Stick and he, Rikiya and with perfect co-ordination, we would defeat each monster and zombie that came at us. People often stood by just to watch us play - we could see their reflections in the screen. Of course, when he and I went separate ways, it was no longer possible for me to play that game, much less complete it.

Forgive my digression. This post is supposed to be about the fried wanton sold on the first level of Parklane Mall at the stall with its red signboard that sells wanton mee, chicken mee, curry chicken mee, fried beancurd etc. It was there in 2003 when I first got addicted to that arcade game but I've never tried the fried wanton, as I have always preferred to eat at the MacDonald's at the basement level of the mall instead. My friend had a craving for wanton mee so we had dinner at that stall. Just to be clear - this stall I am talking about is NOT the famous Parklane Wanton Mee stall which is located at Sunshine Plaza (very near to Parklane Mall)

The Slog Reviews: For the fried wanton: 8/10 - The fried wanton is worth a try if you happen to be around that area - crispy, yummy and bite-sized. I can't say the same though for the wanton mee or fried beancurd which we also had. Be warned of the attitude of the staff which my friend warned me about, as well as the length of time it takes for the food to be served. I've heard that the place can get very crowded during lunch time so it might be better to swing by on a weekday night about 8pm.

No comments: