Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Manhattan Fish Market, A Lam Seafood Restaurant and Durians

I had lunch at The Manhattan Fish Market today at Jusco Tebrau City, JB. I had my favourite course - The Flaming Platter for one which consists of one piece of grilled fish, rice, chips and three "flaming" prawns. The cream on the prawns is simply delicious, I must say. However, the prawns were quite soggy and tasteless, as were the fries. Still, the cost of this course at RM 27.90 is a steal (compared to SG). The Slog Reviews: 7.5/10.

For the flaming platters courses, the waitress/waiter will bring the dish to your table and use a device which emits blue flames to cook the prawns before you for about 1 min. It's quite a sight to watch and how burnt your prawns end up depend on the skill or mood of the waitress/waiter.


I did my nails (classic manicure and pedicure) at the nail salon (De Unique) on the second floor of the mall. The nail salon is nicely decorated (recently renovated) with proper nail salon chairs (comfy with pull-out sinks), good service and the girl who did my nails was well-trained and professional. However, I didn't like that they didn't have any machines for blowing dry my toe nails, and only for the fingernails. The cost of the classic mani and pedi was RM 82 which I felt was on the high side (compared to the usual one I go to at Nusa Bestari) but then again, this is one of the more popular malls amongst Singaporeans.

After shopping at Jusco, I used my handy compasseo GPS (purchased from Carrefour last year at SGD 235) to locate the famous Orang Asli Seafood restaurant at Tmn Perling.


It was about 9pm by the time I reached there. The street lamps along the main road leading to the restaurant were not switched on and the minor road leading to the restaurant was more like a dirt track without clear road markings, very narrow and mostly unlit. The place still had quite a number of large families at that hour having dinner - most of the tables had crabs and cereal prawns. Like Sedco Square in KK, the fishes, clams, prawns, lobsters, crayfish and crabs were kept live in tanks for customers to pick and choose. We had five dishes in all - kailan veg, small clams (commonly known as lala, see top right pic), lemon chicken (top left pic), steamed prawns and 2 steamed crabs. The cost of the meal was RM 150. The 2 crabs cost RM74 and the prawns, RM 20. The Slog Reviews: 7/10. Nothing special about any of the dishes which though fresh, did not thrill the imagination or taste-buds. The restaurant is also quite a drive away from the city but makes a refreshing change for dining as it is situated facing the Johor Straits. Note the dangers of driving there though because of the road conditions


After I got home about 12 midnight (there was a slight jam across the causeway due to the Xmas weekend), I opened these two durians which I bought from a illegal durian "stall" . An oldish Chinese couple were selling durians from Yong Peng out of their van which was parked in a semi-unlit area along a double-yellow line. This mode of selling durians/other fruits out of a van along a roadside is quite common in Malaysia. The XO durians were selling at RM18/kg and the ordinary ones at RM13/kg and I got one of each for supper.


This is the pic of the non-XO durian which I opened at home. It was about 2.5KG and a tad over-riped.

This is the XO durian - it was very over-riped but oh so bitter which is exactly what I asked for. The bitter bit, that is. The Slog Reviews: 7.5/10. The cost of the durians are on the high-side but then again, it isn't exactly durian season now (that's during June - early Aug).


I also got to try for the first time in my life, this unique fruit found only in East Malaysia. I am not sure what it is called but it tastes rather sweet and very much like our smooth-skined longan. While the skin of the fruit is a strange color (greenish-black) which is rather unappealing, the meat inside makes up for it. The skin is quite thin - if one's nails are long enough, one can use it to pierce the skin. The Slog Reviews: 8/10.

No comments: