Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Blissful Cafe's Bak Kut Teh and Liver Soup

Remember my last post on Bak Kut Teh? Since then, I've developed a strange craving to have Bak Kut Teh, nevermind the blistering temperature in the afternoons. If not for the sheer number of things to be done at work each day these few weeks, I believe I would have deliberately driven to Chinatown just to have a bowl of BKT at the hawker center there for lunch.

As it was, because Mr Brad needed some lubrication to function smoothly, I was down at Beach Road (parking there is a nightmare!!!) during lunchtime today with a friend and at my insistence, we had BKT at Blissful Cafe (No 29-31 Sultan Gate Tel No: 62988538). He had a bowl of pig liver soup which came with mee sua and shared a medium sized bowl of klang-style BKT with me.


The Slog Reviews: 7.5/10 for the BKT. I believe the standard has dropped since the last time I was there and it would appear more worthwhile to order a small bowl of BKT at SGD 5 than a medium sized bowl of BKT at SGD 9 given the portions of each. Not that the medium sized serving was anything to complain about given the amount of straw mushrooms, tau kee, veg, butter mushrooms and meat but just that a small bowl would be more value for $. I can't comment about the pig liver soup (SGD 6) because I wasn't mind to try the same but my friend who slurped his way down to the last drop was of the view that it was "normal, the BKT was better". Still, Blissful Cafe is a nice place to have lunch at whether it is hot (there is air conditioning) or rainy (the BKT warms one up!) and the service is fast and good with the servers being helpful without being intrusive. There are also numerous newspaper cuttings on the walls (mostly from Chinese newspapers) which proclaim the merits of this eatery so if one is fortunate enough to find a parking lot at Beach Rd during lunch, Blissful Cafe is worth a try at least once.

No comments: