Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Restaurant Aoba Hokkaido Ramen

Despite the short time I had to finish my quest for THE purple dress (click here), my companion was determined to have dinner all the same. Torn between my pressing need to continue shopping (I'd just finished shopping at Tangs at 7pm without success) and the motto that a hungry man is an angry man, I quickly concluded that it would be no fun shopping with an angry man and it would be better for both of us to have his needs met before mine.

So, the moment we got to Ion, we headed straight for the eateries. He was hungry enough to suggest Burger King (which told me he was downright starving) but I wasn't in the mood for beef and there wasn't a queue at Aoba Hokkaido Ramen. All the tables were taken so we had to wait a couple of minutes before being shown to a table. Service was prompt enough with the menus put in our hands within minutes of us sitting down. The list of items available was delightfully short and simple with fairly accurate pictures of the food.

I ordered the Shio Scallop Ramen at SGD 12.80++ (see pic below) which came within 10mins from the time I placed the order. The Slog Reviews: 6/10. My companion who tried some of the soup said that it was tasteless and that the noodles were like maggi mee. I could not agree more. It wasn't worth the money, I'm afraid. Give me my beloved collagen ramen anytime! If we go back there (which I'm sure we will, if you read on), I'll probably order something else.


While eating, we noticed the table next to us had ordered a cheesy dish which looked rather appetising and my companion was minded to try the same. This, despite my glancing at my watch pointedly and that we had almost finished our noodles. We ended up waiting almost 15mins for the dish to come, by which time, we had asked the kitchen twice to hurry and my patience-o-meter was pointing to the red zone. When the cheesy tofu finally came, we agreed it was worth the wait. The Slog Reviews: 9/10. I never knew that melting warm cheese over piping hot toufu could be such a delish combination. 2 mins after it was served, we both found ourselves scrapping the bottom of the hotplate for more. Do try this dish if you are there. I can't remember the price but it should be less than SGD 10.

I'm not sure if this restaurant takes reservations but here are the contact detrails:

Aoba@ION Orchard
2 Orchard Turn #B3-25
ION Orchard Singapore
Tel: 6509 9394

There are 2 other outlets. the first at Vivo City located at #01-104/105 Tel No: 6376 9519 and the second at Manpuku Japanese Gourmet Town, 10 Tampines Central #03-16 Tel: 6789 6810

No comments: