Monday, March 08, 2010

Kyo-Nichi Japanese Ramen (Collagen Ramen)

One of my favourite ramen places in Singapore - Kyo-Nichi Japanese Ramen. I've been a regular patron there since 2004/5, primarily because I'm female and "Woman, Vanity is Thy Name". Their selling point as compared to other ramen restaurants here would be the collagen in the soup. I always opt for the "thick" version where there is supposedly more collagen but as I've no idea how collagen would taste like, I wouldn't be able to tell the diff between the "thick" and "standard", only that I'm paying a buck or 2 more. In fact, I wouldn't be able to tell even if there is any collagen in the soup!

Well, giving the restaurant the benefit of doubt (on whether they really do add collagen in the soup and in what sort of quantities), I would recommend ordering the set menus (Set A or Set B) instead of a la carte bowls of ramen. One gets a drink and an appetiser of one's choice of a certain value and a bowl of ramen for SGD 15 or SGD 18 (you can choose a more expensive drink, appetiser and bowl of ramen) before service charge and tax.

I ordered the seafood ramen (asked them not to include squid) and chose char siew as an appetiser. My companion had a bowl of char siew ramen and had the marinated fish as his appetiser. The Slog Reviews: 8/10 for the prompt service and delicious food. The ramen could use more ingredients though but the char siew was really "porkyliciously" good and tender.

I wasn't aware that this restaurant had other outlets in Singapore until I saw the pic below on their menu. All the outlets are in the city/business district and rightly so I should think. Lots of women would believe/do anything to stay young and that includes paying just a tad more for collagen in a rather satisying meal.

No comments: