Monday, January 25, 2010

Gangnaroo Korean Restaurant at Circular Road

I had dinner today at Gangnaroo Korean Restaurant which is located at 35 Circular Road. As we went there late (about 8pm) on a Mon night, the restaurant was mostly empty but if one wants to make reservations to be safe, the tel no is (+65)6538 2837.

The restaurant is run by a Korean couple who are able to speak some English. The menu is in English with pictures so there shouldn't be any problem ordering. The price of the dishes range from SGD 13 to 45 and juices are priced at SGD 3. This restaurant isn't a fine dining establishment and most of the dishes are noodles, soups and stone-pot rice. Unlike most Korean restaurants, there is no BBQ or BBQ items here and the emphasis seems to be on their soups. Currently, there are no promotions with any credit cards so one should be prepared to pay the full price without any discount.

I wanted to have the ginseng herbal chicken soup priced at SGD 22 but it was sold out. So I ordered the Kimchi vegetable soup with rice instead (SGD 13). The Slog Reviews: 8/10. The meal came with 6 different complimentary korean appetisers ranging from bean sprouts to pickled kimchi to beancurd.The kimchi veg soup I had was served piping hot and was spicy in itself. Perfect for a rainy day or if one is feeling cold. I am not a korean food fan so I have no basis for comparison but I'll say that there were plenty of ingredients in the soup and the soup gave me a nice warm burning sensation in my tummy after the meal. I need to go back to this place for the ginseng herbal chicken soup!

No comments: