Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 5 in Kota Kinabalu on 4 Jan 2010 (Coming home)

Airasia changed the timing of the flight back to SG from 6+pm in the evening to 2.45pm which meant that we only had the morning to do whatever we wanted to do. We decided to check out of the room early and leave our bags with the reception. This is the last picture I took of KK from our room (Rm *01) at Cititel Express before we checked out.

My companion's friend picked us up from the hotel and we went to have the famous beef noodle soup at some place 10mins away from KK. The coffeeshop has only one stall, this one, and amazingly at 9am, most of the tables were taken.

I love beef noodles but for some reason, I decided to have fish noodles instead for breakfast. The Slog Reviews: 7/10. The slices of fish were chunky enough without bones but despite the tomato and other veg in the soup, this bowl of fish soup couldn't hit the spot. My companion who had the beef noodles said it wasn't anything special either. Ah well. Maybe it's our tastebuds which are accustomed to Singapore flavors.

We went on a last spin around KK on the motorbike after breakfast. My camera was set to Program mode and my shot of the sailfish statue at the roundabout near Hyatt ended up looking like this, which surprisingly, I like very much despite the over-exposure of light.

We also dropped by the Waterfront for a stroll and a visit to the restaurants (such as coffeebean) located there. None of the restaurants were open for lunch so we just had a couple of drinks at Coffeebean which provides free Wifi.

We went to Sedco Square about 11.30am and to my utter dismay, none of the restaurants were opened for business. :( In the end, we settled for having KFC instead! The last trip to KK, we had KFC as the last meal there too. However, I must say, along with most friends I know, that KFC in Malaysia is infinitely nicer than KFC in Singapore. They also have chicken with rice which I had for lunch and which isn't available in Singapore. The Slog Reviews: 8/10. Finger licking good all the way! Then, it was off to KK's terminal 2 (for airasia flights only) with its really dismal shopping choices.

I found that my mum had cooked dinner when I got back home. Now, one thing about my mother is that she is a fabulous cook according to everyone who has eaten her food. My mum however, can be very competitive when it comes to food - we had a christmas party a few days b4 I left for KK and 1 of my aunts had cooked curry chicken wings which I took quite a bit of and raved about. My mother didn't say much on the way back in the car except that she would have used chicken parts and not chicken wings. Well, anyhow, I didnt know exactly how competitive she was until I came home to this huge pot of curry chicken. The Slog Reviews: 10/10. Mum's cooking is the best!

My mother also cooked the big head freshwater prawns which I had caught prawn fishing a couple of weeks ago at my regular hangout (which has unfortunately, closed down). Nothing beats eating what one has caught although I wish my mum hadn't waited so long before cooking the prawns and in sambal at that. I need to let her know that these prawns should be steamed with garlic the way I had them cooked in Kuching. Oh, that reminds me, I said in my earlier post on Sibu that I would write about Kuching in another post. I guess I'll do it before I start on my entries on Ho Chi Minh which I was at this weekend.

No comments: