Thursday, January 28, 2010

Invictus (2009) movie and Lao Goh Teochew Fried Carrot Cake

Nothing beats watching a movie in gold class with an unlimited supply of food and drinks from the menu, all for free. If I had the $, I would watch every single movie I've watched in the soft plush gold class recliner seats all snuggled up in a blanket. As it is, I estimate that this wonderful experience has been limited to 20 or so movies...ah well, such is the life of a slog.

Anyhow, it was a company event that I had been invited to. There was some really good food provided to the guests at the gold class lounge and I had only one round because everyone else was standing around busy networking near the buffet table. To get to the food again, I would have to break through the little groups of people and that would not be very nice given that everyone else was not eating.

So, the movie, Invictus. A good plot summary of the movie can be found here. The Slog Reviews: 8.5/10. The acting by Morgan Freeman (esp) and Matt Damon was superb. And it was brilliant that a sport could bring together, and to its feet, a nation torn apart for years by racism and poverty. Invictus is the name of a poem and the last 2 lines in particular are easy to remember - "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul." According to Mandela in the movie, this poem inspired him to stand when all he wanted to do was to lie down - 27 years in a prison cell Mandela spent, freedom, privacy, human contact/bonding all stripped from him. I would be tempted to lie down too if I had to spent a great part of my life like that.

For starters, I wouldn't be able to have, as I did after watching Invictus, a plate of sinful fried carrot cake from Lau Goh Teochew Chye Thow Kway at #01-26 Zion Rd Riverside Food Centre.

The Slog Reviews: 9/10. This stall is THE stall in Singapore to have chye thow kway
from. It deserves all the rave reviews that it has gotten so far and I am hard-pressed to think of another stall that sells better fried carrot cake than this one.

No comments: