Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Prawn Fishing at Ebi Culture

Blogging about the freshwater prawns in the previous entry reminded me of how long it has been since I went prawn fishing or to use the incorrect but popular term, "prawning". The last time was 5th December 2009 one day before my regular haunt closed shop due to land issues with the authorities. This is the only picture I have of Ebi Culture - that's my sis's bf in the background and my sis's rod at the side.

I got to know of Ebi Culture when I was buying some deep diver lures at a tackle shop in Beach Rd during lunch time back in Aug 09. 1 of the investors in Ebi Culture was there too and he gave me his namecard. As I was busy flying between Shenzhen and Singapore for the China project, I didn't have time to check out the place till somewhere in early November. I hadn't intended to go prawn fishing that day but only to say hi to the owner since I'd told him I would drop by. Anyhow, I met my regular "prawning" kaki there the first visit (he let me practice some prawn fishing using the package he had) and I grew to love hanging out at Ebi Culture after work at least once a week. There was free parking, the 5 prawning ponds were large enough so one had one's own space to fish, and the staff were really decent friendly chaps. The prawns were also super duper large in size and Ebi Culture introduced yabbies in one of the ponds for a period. Here's a pic of me with one of the yabbies which I caught.


My sister loves prawn fishing too (in fact, it was because of her that I started prawn fishing!) so I introduced her to Ebi Culture. They had this great 1 for 1 ladies' night promo every Tues so I got her hooked to the place. And eventually, she brought her bf along. Alas, the place closed down before the 4 of us could have the prawns BBQ we had planned. Anyhow, here is a picture of one haul in 3 hours in our kitchen sink after one of the trips. My fingers are itchy already - time to find a new place to go prawn fishing!

No comments: