Monday, February 01, 2010

The Marmalade Pantry at Ion Orchard and Peacock Bass at a secret spot

I had lunch with my galfriends at The Marmalade Pantry located at Unit 03-22 Ion Orchard 2. Determined to find a place with some really good risotto since my experience at Al Borgo last week, I ordered the Truffled Field Mushroom Risotto (SGD 22).

The Slog Reviews: 9/10. THIS, is really good stuff. The grains are cooked just right - not too mushy or too hard and the truffled field mushrooms mixed with the risotto and some sort of cream results in a flavorful combination. I cannot imagine anyone not enjoying this dish. Excuse the quality of the picture but I had to take the photo discreetly with my camera phone (99% of the other food pics on this blog are brought to you courtesy of my Sony Ericsson W995). And, I took the pic after I had a couple of bites when no one was looking because I didn't want my friends and the other guests looking at me funny. This place isn't the "take-photos-of-one's food-as if-one-has-never-eaten-such-good-stuff" kinda place if you know what I mean. Even for lunch (1-2pm), there was a queue so it is most advisable to make reservations in advance.

In the evening, I went fishing at someone's secret spot with that someone and his friend. This was our only catch the whole evening. It was exciting to watch the peacock bass (pb) take the bait so close to the shore, I could see the pb swimming up to the bait and then swallowing it. Count to 10, strike. I have never fought a PB before Sat and man, it does put up a good fight, esp on light tackle (6pnds line). The fighting style is very similar to that of the pacu with the head tossing to try to rid itself of the hook and because the fight took place so close to the shore, I could see the PB diving and going for a run. I was terrified of losing the fish since losing my prize-winning patin so close to shore at sabah in the fishing competition early this month but as usual, when it didn't matter (like there being no competition), I managed to land the fish. Here is a pic of me holding the lucky chap (catch and release of course because this isn't exactly a table-food fish).

No comments: