Friday, February 12, 2010

The Wolfman (2010) Movie

I caught the sneak preview of The Wolfman. There weren't any other shows (too many Chinese shows in the days leading up to Chinese New Year) that my friend and I could agree upon so despite both our mutual dislike for horror films, we decided on this show because of the special effects and because of Anthony Hopkins.

There is a pretty decent plot summary of the show here and an even better one here so I shan't do my own plot summary as I did for the Percy Jackson movie.

The Slog Reviews: 7/10. Tragic ending - I thought the wolfman could be saved and not killed when the gypsy said that he could be saved by a woman who loves him. However, she meant saved as in set free, as there isn't any cure for his condition. The special effects in the film were great - watching the men transform into wolves - hindfeet bursting out of shoes, digits lengthening, snout appearing with sharpened teeth BUT and it's a huge BUT, the director went too much for the sudden effects scare. As in, the music builds up to a pitch and then there is the BOOM (close shot of hideous face, close shot of monster closing in etc). Too much of that kinda thing throughout the movie. As well as too much of violence, blood and gore. And, I mean, violence - werewolves decapitating people, ripping out some luckless fella's intestines, putting their claws through the back of yet another luckless fella's head...nauseating. This is not a show for children definitely or one who eschews violence.

No comments: